Sunday, January 23, 2011

Coming Soon - Focal Point


Focal Point 022
2010
© Larry Torno

The gallery owner's first reaction to this image was "This is a photograph?" and I knew I was onto something. Focal Point 022 is the first image in a new series of nontraditional photos.  
     As a young boy, I was oblivious to the norm. If everybody went to the right, I went to the left. Once, I thought it would be a great idea to turn our neighbor's sliding board upside down. Since it was my brilliant idea, I got to go first. I ended up with stitches in my leg from the rusty bolts sticking out of the bottom of the slide, and a painful tetanus shot to ward off infection. 
     Focal Point 022 is the adult version of the overturned sliding board. While everyone is figuring out how to sharpen their images, I wondered what I could make my camera do that it wasn't really intended to do; render subject matter so far out of focus that it's no longer relevant or distinguishable as it's original content.  
     This series of images is printed in a large 
30" x 20" format. At this size, you can stare into the photographs and experience them on a purely visceral level. The balance, depth and composition of the images yield shape and form not visible at first glance. I like studying the subtleties of the transparent colors and the seamless nature of their infrastructures. 

2 comments:

  1. Brilliant. Original. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Paul. The gallery owner challenged me to show him something he's never seen before.

    ReplyDelete