Sunday, April 26, 2009

Sign of the Cross - Part One



Figure on a Cross
© Larry Torno, 2009

As soon as I started photographing crosses, I was confronted with cynicism. Some people were afraid to consider my images as art because they thought I had a hidden agenda. Several galleries rejected them for consideration because they said they were too controversial. Other people assumed I was born again because I chose this subject.

The plain truth is, I like the simple shape of the cross and the way it communicates a multitude of messages. It's as simple as that. You can read whatever you want into my photos, but I'm merely trying to make art. As a photographer friend of mine said, "It's not what you shoot, it's how you see it."

This is how I see it.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not, by any stretch of the imagination a religious man and, as you've pointed out, a cross doesn't always have to have religious implications. However, I find it fascinating in this photo how the vines have grown to create an abstract figure. Your photo, to me, has captured a somber and humbling moment. Well done.

    ReplyDelete